View Single Post
Old 1st July 2017, 08:49

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Bonnet looks so much better, well worth the work.

Are you using a clear coat on top of the paint or what paint are you using?
Hi Jag, glad you like the changes.

I use traditional cellulose paint from Jawel which colour sands and polishes without the need for a clearcoat, but you can use one if you want.

Silver cellulose is a very forgiving finish for the inexperienced sprayer as even if you gun it on and leave it without sanding or polishing it has a matt sheen that looks like bare aluminium.

On this occasion I had a couple of issues related to my gun, which had come as part of a set of air tools for less than £30, and my handling of said gun.

The underslung paint cup touched the top of the wings a couple of times when I was trying to keep the nozzle an even distance from the peaks and troughs over the rear wings and head fairing, and to try to stop that happening I tipped the gun over on its side. That was a schoolboy error which resulted in the paint take up tube sucking up air instead of paint and pebble-dashing the surface with tiny globs of dry paint, that have left parts of the surface feeling like sandpaper.

Silver cellulose is such a forgiving choice though that you actually have to touch the surface to realise there's anything wrong with it, hence being able to take it out last night without worrying that anyone would notice.

I'm not going to leave it like that though, I've bought a much better, gravity fed gun https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/in....4YdT3nHf.dpbs and I'm going to flat it all back and give it some more coats later this week (weather permitting).

That's another good thing about the paint I use, it's cheap enough not to worry about having to respray the whole car every now and then -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cellulose-...0AAOSw2xRYUnAz

Currently about £140 for the 20 litre kit, but I paid less than £100 about two months ago as they regularly run special offers on ebay.

All in all, I'm very happy with the changes to the bonnet and side sill, and my mistake with the spraygun was just another opportunity to gain experience to take on to the next project.