Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 12th January 2012, 22:21
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Adjusting the Output push rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey V8 Pete View Post

Question: In an earlier post you said that the dual servo had an adjustable output shaft so a spacer wasn't needed between this and the master cylinder to compensate for the adaptor plate thickness. You also showed a photo ( I can't seem to copy and paste it into this post) of the output shaft unscrewed quite a long way. The dual servo that I have received has a similar, albeit smaller, domed screw and locknut but it is very tight. How did you undo yours? I am scratching around my tool box looking for some very small cranked ring spanners but will wait for your reply before fiddling too much. I notice that the output shaft is quite flexible and rotates freely in the rubber seal so is not actually physically connected to the input (pedal) shaft. Presumably it locates inside the servo in a similar "plunger & cup" arrangement as the output shaft-to-master cylinder connection? Peter.
Hi Peter
This may not affect everyone - the first one I checked was tight, the second loose.

I found the easiest way to deal with the problem was to use a large G-clamp to compress the input push rod in to the servo: the output end then becomes, and remains, easily accessible.
Do not try to hold the output shaft with a pair of pliers, as the shaft has to make an air tight seal, and any marking of it may cause the seal to fail.

You may find the length of the fitted bolt insufficient to adjust out to the depth of your master cylinder. A longer threaded bolt will solve the problem.
If you want to be really particular, file the head in to a dome shape.

Mike