Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 12th January 2012, 23:43
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorton View Post
Bugger! Anyone want a new E30 master cylinder to go with the new metro servo I also have available!!! It's a serious business getting decent brakes but I am sure it will be worth it.

When I measured the flange depth, Mike, I did not realize that the Ford m/c does not have the protruding push rod. I should have looked more closely at the whole combination. Sadly, in my view the only sensible option is a new (unknown) m/c.

Incidentally, how much force is needed to push in the operating rod on the servo. Mine has light force free play of about 2mm and then seems to hit a mechanical stop which I cannot overcome pushing against a block of wood with reasonable force. The output rod does not move and I am loath to risk damage.
Hi Sorton
Yes, I have made a few purchases that I have later made redundant - a new metro servo being one! I think there are a lot of us in that situation. Except I welded my extension pushrod to the servo so it is now scrap!
I also agree the best solution is to go for a new / re-manufactured master cylinder. I've just seen a Cortina with a 20mm bore which would be better than my 22mm bore, but I'm not sure about the size of the flange fitting. (another redundant ebay purchase taught me that there are different flange sizes)

With regard to compression force - there is a hefty return spring in the servo, which makes it quite hard to compress. I could not hold it down AND undo the adjustable thread - hence my advice to use a large G-clamp to compress it. Then it is easy to adjust the output threaded stud.

Mike