View Single Post
Old 14th March 2013, 19:20
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Week 27 and 28 progress report.

Week 27 saw no physical progress due to some higher priority indoor DIY jobs and some horrible weather outside. But it did give me some thinking time to weigh up the options of modifying the chassis or the GRP bodywork.
In the end I deicide to have a go at the bodywork on the basis that I could put that back together again if it didn't work.

So yesterday I did some thinking and drawing.....the pen marks were to enable me to think about which cuts would be the best and enable me to visualise the different options.

Gearbox tunnel mods by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I had a go at cutting with a hand held hacksaw blade but quickly decided I needed something bigger. So I went and hired this little beauty. Only £14.90 for a days hire and it was brand new!

Battery Angle grinder by marlinpeter, on Flickr

With some fully charged batteries and some nice spring sunshine it didn't take very long to have the tunnel cut out allowing me to finally lower the bodywork back on to the chassis.

Which left me this....

Here you can see my body lifting technique required to get the final trimming for clearance.

Next I installed the propshaft and gear change mechanism to check for any issues. The gearbox mechanism will need to be shortened by about an inch.

I also checked that the propshaft didn't foul on the handbrake.

I originally envisaged just raising the tunnel parallel with the floor but then realised I could mount it at an angle making this joining point much smoother and simpler.

I think I'm going to leave those bits overlapping to increase the strength.

....to be continued........

Last edited by peterux; 20th March 2013 at 21:14.. Reason: replaced deleted photo of the angle grinder