View Single Post
Old 15th March 2013, 16:31
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
You could reinforce the floor by glassing in some ally box sections (or angle sections) around the hole perhaps? Could also be used to re-fix the gearbox cover to perhaps? Having a removable gearbox cover would be a great service asset methinks.

It's not the smell of glassfibre I hate. It's the itching afterwards. It doesn't matter what gloves I wear it always seems to get through some how.

Still - no glassfibre on the current project :-)

Cheers, Robin
Thanks, Robin, that's a good idea that'll I'll take a look at. If not I'll be drilling some holes and/or some access panels because at the current moment I couldn't get the engine out without removing the gearbox (because the sump is trapped behind the chassis cross-member) and I can't get the gearbox bolts out with the tunnel in place
There is always the option of lifting the whole body off on a Sabre but that could be a lot of work once the carpets, seats, doors and hood are fitted again.
If I do glass it in again and then need to get access it would be easier to just cut it out again and glue it back afterwards but a bit of a drastic solution.
The upside of glassing it all back together is in restoring the bodies original structural strength and rigidity.

BTW I forgot to mention, I did try your previous suggestion of dropping the rear end of the gearbox but even at 'full droop' the body was still about 20mm suspended by the gearbox cowling off the chassis.

...peter