View Single Post
Old 13th September 2014, 08:18

morris is on a distinguished road

Over the past week or so I've been doing loads of background reading on Megasquirt MS3 and come to the conclusion it is by far the easiest and most cost effective way of over coming all these OEM ECU issues people have with the later 90's engines. The only thing that causes an issue is controlling the VANOS. MS3 can do the on off VVT on the M50 based on different parameters but I think variable the continuous VANOS seen on the later M52 and M54 onwards requires a bit more electronics know how though you could just run it as on/off.

The other benefit of going this route is complete control over your tuning for any future upgrades or engine swaps.

I've costed it up including all the test boards at around £500 as a kit from the US, maybe a bit more if you want to also buy a wide band O2 sensor. my current plan is to set one up on my current engine and use it as a learning opportunity for either building an M50B30 or swapping out to something different entirely.

you'll spend well over £300 just getting a tuner to do a one of map for you where as this can be infinitely tweaked over time