View Single Post
Old 4th June 2014, 15:16

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Well it is certainly raining a lot here today.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One of those days
The weather meant that working outside was a non starter, so I did a few other bits and pieces...

When I was painting yesterday I noticed that the hand brake pivot bracket looked like it has been pulled out of position.
( I think it has always been like that, I just hadn't picked up on the problem. )

So last night I went back through Mac's build and found this photo of his hand brake panel.

To me, it looks like this bracket should be "square" if that makes sense.

Eventually I remembered that I actually have a "spare" hand brake panel sitting in the shed which I dug out today.

Whilst the bracket itself had come away, the panel it was mounted on definitely sits "flush".

Whilst I don't want to make more work for myself, I'd rather fix this now if it is going to be a problem in the future.

I assume it would be OK just to hammer the panel back into position and weld along the edge?

As clearly sorting this out with the arches fitted to the chassis would be a complete nightmare.

I searched my pile of boxes in the Summer House looking for the fittings for my modified rear arches panel.

Whilst I couldn't find them, I did find my box of new self tapping support brackets and some new screws.

These look like they will do the job, although I'm sorry the photos are so blurred.

I thought I'd better double check my photos and found one from the second hand body shell.

It looks like it was missing a couple of screws when I got it anyway.

Then I thought I'd go back and check my original body shell and found this photo.

Whilst this seems to use two screw heads and two bolt heads, I'm sure four screws will be fine.

I plan to seal around the edges too, so the panel will not be going anywhere.

However, I did notice something else in the photo above that made my heart sink...

One of the "factory" holes that I have just sealed was clearly there for the fuel hard line!!!

Thankfully another old photo has saved me from myself.

This was an earlier test fitting of the wheel arches and the rear frame.

The Spitfire petrol tank is no longer in the factory position as the framework brings it forward.

So many moons ago, I bought some flexible fuel hose to run from the petrol tank to the hard line.

My original plan was to cut the fuel hard line so that it finished below the wheel arches, rather than enter into the "boot".

Clearly somewhere along the line I had forgotten all about this as I haven't finalised an exit point for the flexible hose.

Thankfully, looking at the photo above, there appears to be enough space between the arches and framework at the front.

So that is another thing to add to the "To Do" list.

Do despite doing almost nothing on the car today, I've actually managed to go backwards in places.

Cheers, Paul.