View Single Post
Old 6th November 2014, 16:15

Paul L is on a distinguished road
Default 2014 - DVLA / V5C Changes

I thought I'd start a new thread that was not linked to the old way of doing things.

The following is what I believe is now required for a simple Sammio/Ribble/Miglia "re-body".

Although part of the problem is that a "re-body" does not appear to be part of current DVLA terminology.

Anyway, this is the best I can offer in terms of advice and feel free to update it if required.

Sorry it is a bit long (and long winded ), but I hope it will help.

Cheers, Paul.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The starting point for making chances to your V5C is described here:

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-de...w-to-tell-dvla

Ignore the address in this website, as I was told you should address all your correspondence to:

Kits and Rebuilds D4
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1ZZ

They work as a team, allocating cases between themselves and would prefer not to provide a named individual as a contact.

In my case, I wanted to change the "Model" name from Spitfire 1500, but there is no place to do this in Section 7 of the V5C.

In the link above, this is the official guide line.

If the change isn’t listed in the registration certificate
Fill in section 4 of the certificate and send DVLA evidence and a letter explaining the change.

So I simply circled the old model name on the V5C and wrote the new model name above it.

Update:
It is now clear that the Model name on the V5C will remain blank and can not be used.
See Post #10 below for more details.

Initially, I would suggest you keep the evidence and explanations you send to the DVLA very brief.

The DVLA should then send you all the relevant forms to fill in and request any specific details they require.

However, I'd suggest that some of the following words / phrases may be worth including in your initial letter:

The body shell of vehicle registration number "ABC 123", Make Triumph, Model Spitfire/Herald, has been replaced.

The replacement body shell requires the details on the V5C to be changed regarding Make & Model.

I want to keep the original registration number and believe I am entitled to do this.

Because the vehicle has kept all of the following original, unmodified, major components:
- Chassis
- Suspension (front & back)
- Axles (both)
- Transmission
- Steering assembly
- Engine

Only the body shell has been changed and this does not form part of the DVLA's vehicle identity points system.

The vehicle conversion work has been completed to the point where the existing V5C details are no longer appropriate.

I would like the new name to be "????". *

I would like to keep my vehicle SORN on the existing number plate, but with a revised V5C.

The SORN declaration is valid as the vehicle is neither used, nor stored on the road at present.

The vehicle will be given insurance, an MOT & tax before it returns to on the road use.

Update:
* See Post #10 below about whether you need to keep Triumph in the new name.

Note:
There is a complete absence of the word "kit" in all of the details shown above.
It is important to remember we are not building a kit as far as the DVLA understands that term.
( A DVLA kit car would be something more comprehensive like a Westfield or Ultima. )

"DVLA Evidence"
It seems that this can vary from case to case, but I was asked to include "Before" and "After" photographs of the car .

The DVLA specifically asked that the photos should be taken in such a way that the original number plate was visible.

Obviously, I didn't know this was a requirement when I started my build, so this was the best I could do for the "Before".

Personally, I think a key photo to include is one of your Triumph rolling chassis "During" the body shell replacement.

As this covers your claim to keep the original registration number, which is linked to the "8 Point Rule", explained here:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...tered-vehicles

I then included a photo of my replacement body shell showing the same rolling chassis underneath.

Plus one with the rear number plate fitted.

In addition to the photos, you should be able to provide invoices for the replacement body shell and an explanation of where unused donor parts went (e.g. Ebay).

Forms:
I'm probably not the best example, as I went around in circles for a bit, but these are all the forms I filled in:
- V5C
- V894 Reply Slip (Note: Tick options as Kit Conversion = No, Re-built = Yes.)
- V627/1 Built up vehicle report
- SORN using new Model name
- Declaration that vehicle conversion work had been completed.

The key word seems to be "conversion", which is defined as...

The process of changing from one form to another.

So in my case, I have finished converting my old Spitfire into a new form (body shell), hence the new Model name.

Note:
There was quite a bit of confusion regarding the timing of finishing the conversion vs. finishing the whole build.
Just remember the car could be made road legal without a final paint job, and thus remain unfinished in one sense.
Either way, I certainly do not own a Triumph Spitfire any more and therefore changing the V5C is the right thing to do.

Update:
With hindsight, I would not send any forms to the DVLA when initially contacting them.
Instead I would just send the letter, my old V5C and some photos.
This should be enough for the DVLA to confirm which forms they want completed.

Body Shell Inspections:
Whilst these used to be a key part / milestone of earlier Sammio builds, they are now at the DVLA's discretion.

So in my case, and a few other recent Spyder builds, there was no requirement to have the new body shell inspected.

IVA
This is still not required for a "simple" Sammio/Ribble/Miglia build.

The 8 point rule is the key to all of this, if you use all the original Spitfire / Herald parts you will have no problems.

It is only if you start changing other major components at the same time as the body shell that you may struggle.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Paul L; 3rd February 2015 at 08:26.. Reason: Updated
Available from eBay