View Single Post
Old 10th February 2019, 08:05

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mike - Thanks for the link.

I am sure the staple gun would have done a better job than my hammer and tacks approach (see below).

But as I already had the hammer and nails lying around, I wanted to see if that would work.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday Struggles:
In between domestic chores, and the Scotland vs Ireland match, I managed to make progress on two jobs…

Hobnail Headrest
My initial brain wave was to hold the edges of the plywood in a work mate and then hammer the nails in.

But after dragging it out from the back of the shed it didn't open wide enough.

At which point I was thinking about giving up and buying a staple gun (without having read Mike's reply).

But as that would take a few days to arrive, I decided to have one last go, adopting a brute force and ignorance approach…

I put a towel on the paving slabs around the Summerhouse to protect the face.

Then I held the leather in position and squeezed the foam, which allowed the tacks to be hammered in like this.

And when the foam was released, the 'excess' leather went back into position.

There was a lot of trial and error and, thankfully, just one hammer vs. thumb incident.

Eventually, I finished the driver's side and it looked pretty good on the sunny side.

Not perfect by any means, but for my first attempt at head rest making, I'd call that a solid pass.

But the really good news is that no one, apart from those of you reading this, will see this dog's dinner on the back.

At least some tape tidied it up a bit.

Given the lessons learned, I should be able to do a better, and quicker, job on the passenger side.
( The fact it is a smaller area will also help. )

Then I just need to drill some holes in the aero humps and fit them.

Unfortunately, the 'Yin & Yang' nature of my build meant that if this job was going well…

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gear Lever Gaiter
This is where I plan to fix the gaiter in place.

So I made a cardboard template to help.

End of Part 1…