View Single Post
Old 26th October 2018, 13:28

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Bigger wheels would look better, but it'd need the arches raising and widening to match, and those bolt-on chrome basket wheels have no place on a classic replica anyway, but...

The styling just misses the mark in far too many areas for me, from the Noddy driving position to the 'wrong' angle that the bonnet line takes down to the (too small?) front grille aperture.

Take a look at this one (don't know if it's real or replica, btw) -

The bonnet line doesn't drop away dramatically at the front and there's very little overhang from the headlights to the grille, in fact it's very similar to the D Type front.

The driving position on this one is also much better - the driver's eye-line is just above the screen while his shoulder is level with the lowest point of the rear arch. You're not going to be able to fix that with different seats in the Replicar, I'm afraid, as the donor car's structure is just in the way.

Best thing to do with this body I would suggest, would be to copy Lucky at Lemans' idea of rebodying a Lotus 7 style existing car that's already road registered.

That would kill two birds with one stone - 1/ the driving position would be suitably low, and 2/ it wouldn't need IVA, just a much simpler and cheaper (still free?) rebody application through DVLA.