View Single Post
Old 17th February 2019, 06:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dpaz - Whilst I've tried to do as much as I can, there is certainly more than one way to skin a cat.

And I've got no problem with people approaching things in a very different way to me.

E.g. I could afford a professional paint job, however I really wanted to paint the car myself.

This DIY approach left me with two things:
- An amateur paint finish.
- Money available for professional engine work instead.

So if someone does their own engine, but gets someone else to paint the car, it is all the same really.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday Start…
I've decided to take a break from leather & sewing and switch to metal & welding.

Which means it is time to make my first side mirror plinth, so the cover was peeled back.

And the passenger side mirror was removed.

I knocked up a quick cardboard template to work out the angles of the two mounting plates.

Once again, the sloping driveway was causing a few problems, so I will need to get the car on flat ground to finalised this.

In the meantime, I started on the bottom mounting plate, marking it up like so.
( Yes, one of the lines is wonky. )

The extra space to the right of the base gasket will provide space for one of the supporting tubes to be welded.

Once this was cut out and the holes were drilled, I tidied up the edges and test fitted it.

The first issue is the curve of the body shell vs. the flat of the plate.

So it was back to my hi-tech metal working area just outside the Summerhouse.

After hammering one edge, I use the thin edge of the wood for the other edge.

I then worked over any small odd bends using my mate's panel hammer and my own lump hammer acting as an anvil.

Which gave me this curve, as seen from the inside.

Or along the edge.

End of Part 1…