View Single Post
Old 29th September 2018, 16:11

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Cotswold Airport Show

Today's sortie in the A352 was to the above venue, where the show was billed as 'Revival', so I donned my white boiler suit, shirt and tie, and cheesecutter cap. On the way, via Cirencester, the pesky nylon retainer for the gear lever spring gave up the ghost. I've experienced this before, in multiple Triumph gearboxes, and was prepared for the extremely vague feel. The first time it happened was in my Spitfire in the 70's, when I managed to burn away from the lights in reverse, catastrophe being only narrowly avoided .

On arrival I managed to get into the interesting vehicle parking area, despite not having the necessary pass. After fending off the first wave of interested punters, I walked the rows and came across Alex parked in almost pole position, his car looking as spruce as ever. I was a little underwhelmed by the show itself, but as it's in its infancy I imagine it will grow, and I was delighted to find a reasonably priced doughnut seller .

Amongst the static aircraft was this Chipmunk, a type in which I used to fly from White Waltham as an RAF Cadet in the 60s. Happy Days!

Amongst the punters' cars two stood out for me: this Riley Elf in cream over chocolate:

and this Alfa GT Veloce:

The Trabant behind it had a VW Golf power train - a lot of fun to be had in that!

Despite my trepidation regarding the iffy gear-linkage, the journey home was uneventful. A good day out: roll on next Saturday at the Combe!.

Regards, Mick