View Single Post
Old 18th April 2013, 21:28
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to rip out all my fuel lines and swap to SAE 30 R9.

Ever since I started the car for the first time and ran the petrol through the lines the garage has smelt petroly. Not like a fresh spill but just this back ground stink all the time. It leaks through into the house too which isn't pleasant. I thought first of all it was where I'd spilt some on the engine etc when I was changing over my injector seals but this is over three weeks now and the smell is just as strong. I can't find any leaks and have checked all hoses clips are tight. When you sniff around trying to find where it's coming from you can actually smell it through the hose. I wouldn't be surprised at this if it they'd been on for 10 years or something based on what I've read about modern fuel in R6 hose but this is only a year old (I assume).

I'm not so much worried about the extra expense, more the hassle of what was, with the engine and gearbox in, a painful job in the first place let alone with a face full of fuel on the cards
Hi Ian

Cn I offer you a glimmer of hope?
I had the same petrol smell after I had put a gallon in my tank. I could not see any leaks,and there were no obvious signs of a drip on the floor either, yet the slight smell of petrol persisted.

I found my problem when I changed my diff and had to take the fuel tank out.

I had used the stainless braided (expensive!) fuel hose with a plastic end cap, to go from my tank to the HP pump. The problem was that the plastic end cap isolated the inner tube too much and the jubilee clip just would not tighten the tube up sufficiently around the Marlin union.

Turns out I had two problems - the Marlin out let was only 10mm and I was using 12mm pipe, and secondly there are better fuel pipe clips than jubilees. I've now discarded the plastic end cap and used proper pipe clips, and my petrol smell has disappeared.

There is hope!

Mike