View Single Post
Old 29th August 2006, 14:48
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road
Cool

Den

You know I am not saying you were right or wrong in what you set out to achieve etc. My point relates more to newcomers and others that want to read a mag.

If you were new to kit cars, say you had just visited TKC Live and got very excited about the prospect of buying a kit.

Off you go to WH Smiths to buy a mag. Which one would you buy?

Why?

Marketing (magazine) can be geared towards many things. One of which is the appearance & layout. The first thing that attracts anyone is the cover, so this has to jump out at you.

Next most people pick up the mag and flick through. So pictures need to be a good quality, attractive to look at and a good selection need to be on the right hand page. I also like the highlighted text. I know its a filler, but it gives you the gist of a story, thus gaining interest.

What you don't want to draw a browser's attention to is anything that would turn them off reading it. I believe this is one of the things that has happened to the main mags in the industry.

I know this is common knowledge to any publisher (and many of the public), but it's always worth revisiting your ideals on how the mag should look and take into account some trends from mags in other sectors.

Den, this ain't a dig, hopefully it's constructive to everyone.

BTW, I look forward to the 'innovative marketing' in the new year