View Single Post
Old 16th May 2015, 14:36

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I agree with everything EP says above, the original Sammio concept enabled quite a few people to put nice cars on the road for very little money when compared to the competition. I spent less on my whole car than a 356 Speedster body alone typically costs.

As for the wheel alignment issue, there are two aspects to this:

One is getting the wheels close enough to the centre of the arch so it looks right; and the second is getting the flow of the arch to follow the curve of the wheel so the gap looks even all round.

On the Sammio Spyder the rear arches could be centred by careful jiggling of the rear body prior to bonding in place, and then the bonnet could be lengthened or shortened to get the wheels centred, and lowered at the front to get the curve right (in my case necessitating a great big hole in its middle to let the engine poke out).

Before bonnet chopping -

...and after -

You can see the similarity between my 'before' shot and the unfinished one on ebay -

Looking at it, it's going to be far more difficult (though not impossible) to get the wheel arches right for both length and angle with a one-piece body, and that shiny paint job sure won't survive the procedure.

It's also a truism that you can't see both sides at the same time, but you can see both ends of the same side...