View Single Post
Old 29th November 2015, 21:30
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Manzoori View Post
I am glad you liked the idea. But to be able to remove the bracket without having to take the body off the chassis, it will be a good idea to have the lower one in one piece but the top one cut in the middle and each half to have its own bolt to secure it to the one below.
I have made and fitted the clamp as suggested. I've decided to leave it all one piece and will worry about cutting it in half should I ever need to remove it.

Exhaust mid hanger clamp by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Exhaust mid hanger clamp by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The clamp is made from 2mm thick steel strip with a 4mm thick backing plate. (Sorry for the poor photo). It works really well!
Thanks again to Aamir for the suggestion.

I've also 'completed' the exhaust system by using a couple of flexi pipes at the front.

Exhaust Flexi's by marlinpeter, on Flickr

My original plan was to use two rigid Jetex 45degree bends to bridge the change in levels as the exhaust system is slung lower than in the BMW. There wasn't sufficient space to accommodate the rigid bends so I'm using these Polylock flexible pipes from Rev motorstore on ebay.

I said above 'completed' in quotes because I fear the front exhaust is too low and there is too little ground clearance.

Because the pipes that enter the cats pass under the side supports to the gearbox cross-member the exhaust is currently about 1.5" lower than it should be. I've been working on the car raised on axle stands for the past few months so hadn't realised how little ground clearance there is under the car at this point. It's also just about mid way between the two axles so the worst place for speed humps. There is currently only 3.25" ground clearance with the existing 14"wheels.
I'm planning on using 15" wheels which will raise the car by 1/2" and high profile tyres which will add a bit more but I think I need to find another way of routing these pipes nearer the centre of the car.

You can just about see the issue in this early photo....

Exhaust initial trial by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Thinking cap firmly back on.......

....peter