View Single Post
Old 20th April 2016, 19:19

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default Jag's 250SWBc build

Been uming and aring about what to build. I did like the 250GTO but decided against it as I thought I would have trouble finishing the bodywork to a good enough standard.
I then came across a Simpson design Italia which look much easier to build and finish, which I bought.
Then Chris started on the 250swb convertible and I knew that was what I was after as I wasn't too happy using a 1.8 as a base car.
I placed an order with Chris at the beginning of the month, I thought if I waited, the waiting list after the kit car show would probably mean I wouldn't get it before xmas.
I had been intending to buy my donor from copart as a cat C or D insurance write off. They seen to sell for between £700>£1100 for a good 2.8 manual. Of course as soon as I decide I want one, all they have is 1.9's which doesn't interest me at all.
It must be a 2.8 or 3.0, manual and air con. Not too bothered about colour but the final colour would depend on the donor. I think there is nothing worse than lifting a bonnet on a red car to find a green engine bay.
I was hoping for

Silver, would paint it gunmetal grey with a red interior
or
Red, would paint it Audi Masano Red, this is a very bright scarlet
or
Blue, would paint it tour de france blue or Blu Elettrico

I have just picked up a nice(ish) 2000 2.8 manual with air con in blue so it's the last option colour wise.
Bit of rust in one of the rear wings but the main problem is that it will only rev to 2000revs and won't go any higher, suspect camshaft sensor or the sensor on the throttle pedal.
Bought unseen and delivered. Car was £775 so am hoping to get most of the purchase price back from the sale of the parts. Full service history and a folder full of bills.
I need to get it running properly first so I can get it MOT'd. I have a local painter and body man so will need to run it backwards and forwards so he can check my preparation.

Kit is coming just after the Stoneleigh so I will be visiting the show and taking my sharp pointy stick, just in case Chris needs prodding!

I'm not going to post a full build as Eric has done such a good job with his, but will post problems and work arounds. I have found Chris to be very helpful so will be bending his ear a lot too.

I have managed to get a bargain set of MWS chrome bolt on wires for £190, the chrome is past it so they are going to Tudor classics to be "chrome" powder coated at a cost of £56 each. Being bolt on it means I can still use BMW spare in an emergency, BUT I fancy twin tailpipes and from my brief glimpse underneath it looks as if I have twin tail pipes I will have to lose the spare wheel as it will be blocked and/or in the way of the pipe. Anyone have an ingenious work around?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z35.jpg (97.2 KB, 107 views)
Available from eBay