View Single Post
Old 18th October 2018, 07:00

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Progress of sorts.

Tuesday and yesterday I applied myself to fitting the beefier M10 Range Rover wheel studs to the front hubs. I'd fitted the more straightforward rear ones some time ago and had been feebly putting off this task.

Starting with the offside one (nearer to the workbench), I clamped the disc in the vice and tried to get a socket over the head of the first of the four bolts securing it to the hub. The shape of the casting prevented a very secure location so I substituted a ring spanner tapped on with a hammer and bashed its end to start things off. After a few goes it was proud enough to get the socket on and gently undo it. This worked fine for another two of the bolts but the fourth stubbornly resisted, even after lots of dismantling fluid and heat. I decided to leave it in soak overnight and try again maƱana.

Yesterday morning, no change, even after lots of heat. I bit the bullet and used a 4mm HSS bit and my smallest cold chisel to relieve the offending part of the casting. The last bolt then came away easily. Tapping the hub from the disc and drawing the new studs through their holes with a wheel over it, using the new nuts, was simple, as was re-assembly. The near side hub, although identical as far as I could see, proved simplicity itself, the socket being fine on all four bolts. Weird.

Next job was to run my MGF wheels down to the tyre place, agree on 175 65 15s and leave them there for collection today.

Body removal assistance was was once again unavailable so I decided to paint my pedal box sandwich plates. My new litre of acetone had arrived earlier so a quick degrease and a few passes with a rattle can had this done.. The paint is matt black but the photo' has lied, showing it as grey. More weirdness.

That was it for the day.

Regards, Mick