View Single Post
Old 7th September 2011, 21:46

woodsmith is on a distinguished road

A friend was supposed to do some work on my motor casing to clean and smooth out the welds and then spray in candy apple red on metallic gold.
Unfortunately he has had a 'domestic' issue and I have been asked to collect my parts unfinished.

Hopefully he will get sorted and can do the spraying but in the meantime I have got on with sculpting the motor barrel. Careful use of files, abrasives and a bit of Isopon P38 over a couple of days got the welds nicely clean and tidy and with the profiles that I wanted.

A brushed coat of red oxide primer went on this evening to fill any small pin holes and allow me to sand down to highlight any defects.

It will need a few days to fully cure before wet sanding.

The barrel has a weld seem on it too, it has been ground down in manufacture but it has left a ripple on a visible surface so I will file that down next and make it a smoother cylinder.

At least now I have the motor back I can set it all up and get the swing arm dimensions right before I finish making that.

As an aside, has any one got an MGB front right hand splined hub knocking about they don't need?