View Single Post
Old 7th March 2013, 21:20

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
To be honest I didn't expect many 'yea' from this forum as most guys have, quite rightly, got the 50's look in their sights rather than the Austin Power's era
To be serious - I think a lot of guys (and ladies) of a certain age appreciate the nostalgia of 1950's racing cars; Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mercedes, Ferrari etc - whose drivers' epic battles against each other at Le Mans, Nurburgring, or for some the Mille Miglia or Targa Florio, echo deeds of driving 'daring do' not normally encountered on the A406 school run, M25 or M6 toll road (unless you are a motorcyclist of course).

A number of like minded people back in the 1960's also wished to go racing, to try and taste a little of what might have gone through the minds of Dick Seaman, Alberto Ascari or Alfonso Antonio Vicente Eduardo Angel Blas Francisco de Borja Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton marquis of Portago, - best known as Alfonso de Portago - which was respectively; a tree, tarmac and a mile marker post, RIP.

Some of the guys in the '60's put together fascinating and fruitless creations, sometimes both, and I can't believe Air Vice Marshall Donald Bennett actually finished the '63 Monte Carlo Rallye in a humble Fairthorpe Electron Minor. In the '70's & '80's you could pick up a Fairthorpe for a couple of pints and a Castella, but now if you find eligible for FIA papers you could pay mucho dinaro. The same goes for a number of other kit cars of the period - Lotus 7 Mk2, even the humble Beach Buggies of the late '60's are now at a premium. What I think I'm saying is the kit cars of today are going to be the wanted 'nostalgic' cars of the 2050's....esp those converted from 1960's Triumphs.....

I think we are still living the legend...

Time for bed.