Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 30th April 2012, 19:29
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default A frustrating day...........

The weather was great down here in the South-East today so I was up and out bleeding my brakes. No problem with the brake bleeding so I took the opportunity to fix a small exhaust leak at one of my joints while I had the wheels off.
That all done, I was back down in the footwell to reset my brake light switch which has always a bit over sensitive. All done by 11am so off I went for a test drive.

Well by the time I was back my rear brakes were binding so much that I didn’t need to apply the handbrake and the air was full of that pungent burning brake smell : (note the RPV has been removed)
( I also had a run-in with a stationary speed cop while I was 'giving the new engine some beans' but luckily he was so interested in the car he didn't clock me . He seemed more concerned about my non-cancelling indicator. I stopped for a chat because he shouted at me as I went past!)

Anyway, back to the brake problem. The rear brakes would release if I hooked my toe under the brake pedal and pull it up? Not recommended.
I checked it wasn't my pedal fouling on anything. The only thing I could think was that my plunger extension inside the m/c was too long, so off it all came again, shortened it by about 3mm to ensure a little gap and more bleeding all round. (by now I was like a one man F1 pitstop team!).
Another test drive (avoiding speed trap).......and yup, you guessed it still no improvement.
So next I moved the m/c away from the servo by three washers (about 5mm) creating an even bigger gap between the servo plunger and the m/c piston.
Another test drive showed a significant improvement but now my pedal is not returning to it’s highest position without some encouragement. The braking point is also now much further down the travel so it does not feel so safe.

I think I need a strong return spring to pull the servo actuation rod back out of the servo to allow the rear brakes to release. Any other ideas welcome.

Anybody know any good spring suppliers?