Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 30th April 2012, 21:05
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Peter
It sounds as though something is binding. My set up does not suffer this problem and I do not feel yours should either. Adding a spring is masking the problem.

You should only require a minimal gap between the servo push rod and master cylinder - definitely not 5mm.

The servo/master cylinder have a very strong combined return spring - remember how difficult it was to get the servo plunger to extend to fit he new M6 set screw and lock it off?
If your pedal is not returning something is seriously binding. It could also account for the rear drums binding too, rather than the new rear valve.

Have you over tightened the connection between the clevis and pedal? Try slackening it off. and see what it feels like.

(........and if you can get the bolt out of your pedal, fit the clevis around the pedal stem - sorry that was a bit tongue in cheek, but you know my views on the way it should be assembled - making sure the pin is not tight in the pedal due to the slight angle)

Mike
Hi Mike,
thanks for the suggestions.

And yes, I agree that something is not right and different to others experience.

I can't find anything binding and I slackened off my pedal bolt completely. (It's now flopping about in the clevis) The pedal is not tight and I can't currently see how my mounting position could have this effect, but I will try it if I can.. I have convinced myself today that it is not the brake pedal causing this. The RPV is now removed so i'm back to how it was with the metro/bmw config.

With vacuum applied to the servo from the engine running, the servo input actuator does not fully return to its rest position until I turn off the engine and pump the pedal few times or pull it back. It's as if the vacuum is somehow holding the brakes applied until I pull it back manually or the input spindle is sticking? With the engine off, the pedal returns fully. My vacuum pipe is from the standard BMW source, like others have used.
I may be the only one with drum brakes but again, I can't think how this would cause this effect, except that my front brakes do seem OK so maybe this is the clue?

As you can imagine, it's hard to see exactly what is happening with your head stuck in the footwell.

Apart from a spring, I can't think of anything else to try?

BTW, I only drastically increased the gap between the servo and m/c to eliminate this as a cause. It did make a good improvement but it is, in your words, masking the problem.

Anybody else got any ideas?