View Single Post
Old 10th February 2019, 16:25
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default A little progress and a motivational mock-up....

This week I've made a bit more progress on installing the engine loom.

First, I finished wiring up the ETB Temperature and Oil Pressure senders.

Temp and oil pressure senders by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The BMW dashboard temperature sender uses two wires but the ETB sensor only uses one (and earth). I have re-purposed the spare wire for the oil pressure sender so I didn't need run an extra cable.

I then mounted the two engine loom relays up behind the dashboard, again really determined by the length of the cables as I didn't want to cut and rejoin when not necessary. I'll need to check i can get to them when the dashboard is installed.

Main and Fuel pump relays by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then had to find spaces for the heater control valve and a megalink fuse so I had to temporarily install a number of parts to check for clearance and space.
I call this a 'motivational mock-up' as you can suddenly see it all coming together

Motivational mock-up by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The battery shown here is old one from my wife's car but is just a tad too long, so I'll have to get a shorter one. I've rotated the the BMW MAF elbow through 180 degrees. Then added a 180 degree silicone hose to the Compbrake air filter.

MAF and Air filter by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then got on with installing the heater control valve and the Megalink.

Heater control valve by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I had planned to use a Ford Fiesta heater control valve until I read on-line how unreliable they are (which explains why there are hundreds of replacements on ebay). So I've chosen an Audi/VW water control valve. This one is from a 2018 Audi A8. I've also mounted a battery ground point.

I've just ordered up some hose adaptors and heater hose to connect all this up and then I can start re-installing the inlet manifold, etc.

....peter