View Single Post
Old 17th June 2007, 23:33
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

Any joy yet Craig?

Not intending to gloat if not, but I thought I'd explain my clutch experience following today's efforts, just in case it helps.

My setup:

- Civic R master cylinder linked to Rover clutch pedal. Before trying to fill with fluid I modified the cyclinder mounting with a spacer to shift it 5mm forwards -this followed various bits of advice (thanks chaps) suggesting I should make sure I had the whole master cylinder travel available. Now gives full cylinder travel for full pedal travel. Master directly connected to 6mm copper hard line through tunnel to a bulkhead fitting at the firewall. 5mm braided flexi from there to slave cylinder.

Got to be honest - bleeding was a piece of cake. I filled the reservoir and pumped the master a few times with no real effect. Then I opened the slave bleed a couple of turns and stuck a long length of clear hose onto the nipple. This was long enough for me to stick the end in my mouth while still topping up the reservoir. I sucked (hard!) until fluid without bubbles was coming up the tube (then stopped before getting a mouth full!). I then tightened the bleed nipple again and hey presto, clutch works, fully disengages (heavy but I I haven't any more pedal travel to play with so tough). Took about 5 minutes. I really can't think what the problem is at your end. Must be hugely frustrating
Richard

PS - yes, I used straight copper, not cunifer. As far as I'm aware there's no issue with corrosion from brake fluid. After all, pure copper brake line is readily available. Hope this isn't an SVA issue... I guess for SVA purposes it's cunifer anyway just to be on the safe side