View Single Post
Old 1st October 2016, 11:24

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

As regards Pauls comment ....

I agree the kit car world has changed , the 'glue on' style of build very much dominates the scene nowadays ...as a result of donor vehicle choices being restricted to monocoques nowadays and legislation changes .

In order for the hobby to survive , kit production has to stay up with modern changes ...

early kit cars were built in the style I adopted for the S*mmio ...I totally went back to the beginning with a total rebody on a rolling chassis in the way that Ford Pops and Austin 7's were utilized in the 50's and 60's ...

As cars like , predominantly Mini's and Beetles became affordable donors , the scene swang that way and every body style you can imagine has graced a Beetle chassis ...

The scene stepped up a notch in the 80's and 90's with custom built chassis , suspension etc and the quality went up somewhat too ..as well as the prices !

IVA and suitable donor options changed the scene in the 00's and we started to see the glue ons , as a way of avoiding the issues presenting themselves and it has been a very positive thing for the industry...

Amongst other things , it has made building 'dream ' cars easier for many ...and brought a lot of people into the Hobby that might not have joined in 20 years ago ...

I think the type of people building S*mmio's , Miglias and A352's etc are a different builder to the glue on crowd ....no better , no worse ..just different .
The 'Special builders' are just a bit more classic motivated , or 'old school' if you like ..

I think the glue ons are a positive thing and Tribute and DNA etc have turned out fantastic options for people ...My heart lies with traditional builds personally , but thats my background and no reflection on the current state of the industry or its future ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 1st October 2016 at 11:27..