View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 16:47

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Progress Report:
My first batch of Ebay sales have just ended, after what seemed like a long week,
I've spend hours answering questions and dealing with potential buyers / offers.
But in the end I raised £673 from 7 lots and I still have some good stuff to sell.
( I'll produce a comprehensive list of all my sales when the last parts are sold )

The oddest part of the process was the interest in parts I wasn't actually selling.
There are already four people forming an orderly queue for the body shell.
One guy has already made an offer for it based on two of the photos from this thread.
( The 'what it looks like now' after removing parts photo & the empty boot photo )
So with a bit of luck, the last part to be taken off my donor will be my biggest sale.
I'm also going to use this as an excuse to test 'posting a video within a post' tomorrow.

But it will take me a while to get used to the last minute nature of the Ebay bidding.
For days it looked like the bonnet, 2 doors & boot lid would go for £3.96 in TOTAL!
Which means I should have sold them for scrap metal, rather than car parts.

So a pox on the IT geek who invented item watching and automated bidding!
It took all my nerve not to accept other offers in the days before bidding ended.
Thankfully I got more money than I'd been offered, so it was worth the anxious wait.
Once all these parts are collected, I will go through the next batch of stuff to sell.

Although I'm hoping my 1st Ebay buyers will want some of these other parts too.
So, with my wife's permission, I've turned our dining room into an Auto Jumble!

Brand new items include leather seat covers, double duck soft top & seat foams.
In fact, the Rimmer Bros price list for the stuff piled up on the sofa is over £1,400.
I'm still gutted that I can't use these rebuilt Spitfire seats myself in the Cordite.

More Stripping:
I removed the stereo surround, under dash storage bits & the last of the carpet.
I was also able to remove the speaker cables and radio aerial lead too.
It is starting to look very bare inside the car now.

Donor Inspection:
My usual garage collected what's left of my Spitfire earlier today.
The pick up lorry seemed to fill up most of the street!

This Spitfire is definitely turning into a bit of a trailer queen!

So they will start to check it all over next week for me.
I've been getting MOTs there for 24 years and they are very good.
They will look at the rolling chassis, drive chain, engine, etc.

Bed time reading / viewing:
Whilst I'm still currently focused on the donor 'destruction' phase of my build...
I'm also starting to plan ahead for the construction phase of this project too.
So I took advantage of an offer in CompleteKitCar and bought a book & DVD.
I've seen Mark Evans make things with Fibreglass on TV & am keen to try it myself.

Next Steps:
More Ebay selling (once I've had my limits increased as I am an ebay novice).
Wait (with my fingers crossed) to hear back from the garage about what they find.
I've also sent a PM to Gary with my latest thoughts on my kit order.

So until next time, take care, Paul.

Replies:
Mister Towed - Don't put yourself down, normal people learning to weld give me hope!

Last edited by Paul L; 10th September 2019 at 05:57..