View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:51

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Another tiny step closer...

I was down the cave early yesterday, wondering if there was anything I could get on with before my bleeding assistant surfaced. Looking at the butchered coaming above the scuttle I decided that fashioning a full width ally cover (which would have to follow multiple compound curves) was an impractical pipe dream. Next best, small individual plates over the two worst and most visible areas. A trial run with small card templates decided me that, although it was ugly, it was nevertheless a lot better than nothing. I transferred the shapes to thin ally, cut them out, drilled fixing holes, bent them to the correctish profile over a breaker bar clamped in the vice and riveted them on. Not pretty, but undoubtedly an improvement.

Postie had by this time delivered three of the four sewing machine related items I'd ordered, the outstanding one being vital to progress on seat cover fabrication so nothing doing there. Much later help was available so brake bleeding commenced. Only a very soft pedal could be achieved without vigorous pumping so I dismissed my assistant and set to checking all the joints. I quickly identified and tightened the culprit, which was one of those into the four way union. The cave was by now a furnace so I called it a day

Regards, Mickl