View Single Post
Old 13th December 2014, 14:58

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie & Nigel - Cheers chaps.
Even though I have opened an even bigger can of worms today, the change has done me good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Frosty The Sammio Builder...
With high winds forecast the other night, I had put some wood on top of the car cover.

The fact the wood was still covered in frost when I started this morning was not a good sign.

Without the body shell in place, water finds it way past the sides of the covers & into the lowered floor pan.

Thankfully the it wasn't cold enough to freeze the water, but my hands still felt it when I was mopping this out.

My wife helped me move the body shell back onto the framework and this exposed a bit of a mess.

Cleaning the drive is on my "Pre Christmas Chores" list, so that was the first thing I did.

I had a very brief glance at the bolts for the boot access panel.

One thing is clear, I need to set everything up based on the angles when the body shell is in position.
( As I am not getting the true picture when the body shell is off the framework. )

But that is a problem for another day, so I switched my attention to the bonnet.

The first thing I needed to do was to stop the low points of the bonnet hitting the scuttle before the corners.

So I marked up a series of slits on both sides and cut them with my angle grinder.

Note:
Eventually these slits will be extended to the faint black line you can see further down the bonnet.
( Which should give me the space required to blend the old & new curves together. )

Despite the slits, I still couldn't get the bonnet to sit neatly on the passenger side.

This was because the bottom edge was too long.

After trimming the bottom edge, it was then the angle of rear bonnet edge that wasn't right.

So that was trimmed and I could now clamp the bonnet into position on this side.

There isn't enough space on my drive to get a full "side on" photo, so this is the best I could do.

I am really happy that it looks like I might be able to make a good join of the old bonnet & new scuttle.

Although the less said about the work required to re-shape the wheel arch the better.

End of Part 1...