View Single Post
Old 24th November 2016, 15:06

Old Jock is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul, I see what you mean about the negative camber. Normally, when you reduce the weight bearing down on the rear spring you make the camber more positive, not negative as you have. Do you know which spring and half shafts you have in your car? Mine are both from the later Spitfire with the 2" wider track and if I fitted the earlier spring, I would get an excess of negative camber like you have. If you like, I can measure the length of my spring eye centre to eye centre so you can compare yours and mine to know which spring you have. Have you asked whoever you bought the car from if they did anything with the rear spring?
Regarding my own car, once I got it back from the welder I set about rust proofing it with a product called Metalmorphosis which seems to be well thought of by the Landrover Club. It worked very well on the rear of the chassis where there was still a bit of light surface rust and gave a nice dark blue almost black finish. The rest of the original chassis has also been successful but the new metal has not. In fact, the finish looks as if the product has caused the surface of the new metal to rust. It's really strange, because I attacked this with a wire brush in the angle grinder and the metal itself underneath the Metalmorphosis was still nice and bright with no sign of any rust at all. However, I am going to remove it from all the new metal then give it a few coats of normal undercoat before finishing it off with a nice silver top coat. I don't think it will happen any time soon though as it's really too cold (-8 degrees last night) for the paint to cure and dry properly and that cold weather is forecast to remain for a while. Let me know if you want me to measure the spring and half shafts, I should be able to do it on Saturday.