View Single Post
Old 16th May 2018, 18:47

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Ray wanted hidden hinges , like Grahams , so I made up another pair of hinges and also made a pair of pivots that are linked together with a bit of strap iron and two corner braces ...

This was then bonded and bolted onto the inner lip area of the boot aperture ...it will also be bonded to the rear deck area to ensure it is nice and strong. I then took another pair of hinge plates , welded 4 countersunk 8mm bolts into each plate and joined them together with a piece of 30x30mm box...these were bolted to the hinges and will form the brace and mounting points for the bootlid.

I trimmed the bootlid right back to virtually a single skin , but the advantage of starting with a deeper panel means you get a gel coated edge rather than the raw edge of a cut out panel ...The the boot brace was supported underneath by an axle stand in the right position to line it up with the boot skin .I then gunned a load of bonding adhesive onto the brace bar , heaping it on nice and generously ...the boot skin was then bedded down into the adhesive and weighted and propped overnight to allow it to dry in position