View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:50

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyman View Post
Hi, as most builders are replacing outriggers etc. during chassis restoration is possible to weld the front outrigger further back to enable more clearance to be obtained? If standard suspension bushes are used any clearance when stationary will reduce when driven especially under braking. T
yres will also change shape and and size also thus reducing clearance.
I'd considered doing this myself because it does look possible. I decided not to though as it would introduce too many unknowns for my liking, affecting things like the cockpit length, the seat to pedals relationship and requiring the gearbox tunnel to be cut down. It would probably also require the front of the body to be cut back and the bonnet lengthening to compensate, which could adversely affect the looks imho.

I may end up clearancing my bulkhead eventually, but I'm hoping to get away with fitting tyres that don't foul in the first place. The 155/80/14's fitted to two of my old mgb wires look the part and have the same sidewall height as the 175/70/14's that I keep coming back to. Once I've refurbished and fitted my bulkhead back on the chassis I'll bolt up the old 155's and see whether they fit. Here's hoping...