View Single Post
Old 28th May 2012, 22:15

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Well as no-one has replied to you as yet (when I started writing this) I thought I'd chip in. I'm only in the 'planning stage' (albeit with a G46 - which has a different rear end) but the question of rear lights is indeed a challenge; whether to mix an old 'style' vehicle with new LEDs or keep it in '50's style, both work.

It's personal taste.

You've got the options arguments covered. Overcrowding is a problem with a reverse light but it might be possible to get a number plate unit similar to BRT 512H & MLR 432D with a built in reverse light (as per Humber Hawk).

I note you feel you'll need reverse lights when parking in London - sad to say most denizens park by 'feel' (a friend in Barnes with a Fairthorpe regularly had to replace his rear light units) as with no overider/nerf bar like a Sammio they are a bit vulnerable - you may want to see if it's still legal to 'french' them in (recess into bodywork so they do not protrude).

Reflectors - I thought these were a legal requirement. Might be mistaken.

Fog/Reverse: My '70's Scimitar base vehicle (for the G46) has no fog or reverse light - and I doubt if I would fit them, if I did they would be hidden behind a a solenoid operated flap - certainly wouldn't go for the after market square things that hang under the rear end on brackets, although you used to be able to get (don't laugh) a fake exhaust tail pipe wired up with a reverse light (think they have recently been re-introduced) but I don't know if four pipes at the back end would look silly?

As you know LED lights can have tail/indicators/brake/fog (or reverse) lamp built in but IMHO they are a bit big (have to be) and I'm not sure they suit - but if you are going for a 'fusion' look it's not an issue.

I was also thinking of the 'number plate bolt lights' and actually handled them at Stoneleigh, they are discreet and may suit a modern 'fusion' look better than the 'built in' number plate lights.

Far more choices available than the guys had in the 50's...

The solution depends if you are going for a genuine 50's look in which case the indicators and stop lights on BRT 512H look good but with the number plate from the other green Sammio XYA 374H looks better (IMHO) - its all a matter of personal taste as you'll see when others chip in.

Strictly speaking XYA 374H has the right kind of look for a '50's sports car as quite a few used that type of Morris/Triumph/Jag rear light unit at various angles and is IMHO 'right' for that kind of 50's 'homebuilt look', the Sammio (again IMHO) is a replica replica.. (that's one view)..

Keep searching as you'll probably see a car from the 50's/'60's with exactly the look you want (whatever that is....)