View Single Post
Old 26th November 2013, 16:24
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknovice View Post
hello ive been looking at a few cars now and i think ive finally found the car ive looked on there site stateing its £6000 plus vat for everything but donor parts and about £500 - £1000 for donor bmw i was worried though when i saw one on youtube and they said it cost £20000 + if that true and anyone who's built one if you could give me a total on costs overall that id be looking at i have about £7000 - £8000 on the push.
My experience of building a Marlin Cabrio is that the guide figures given by Marlin are hopelessly understated. As Peter suggests, try adding up all the "extras" on their list, most of which you will need, and you'll find your budget is exceeded, and you still have to dress it inside, and paint it.

A secondary note of caution - Have you asked Marlin if they are still making the Sportster? My understanding was Mark Matthews has not been well and they suspended taking orders for any new kits: but do check with them to confirm.
If you do go ahead, be sure to order the entire kit of Marlin parts to complete your car, as they are very difficult to get small parts from once you have paid for your kit!

On a much more positive note, if you can find an un-finished Sportster kit, it will have a significantly lower cost, and may well come with a load of bits with it - then your budget would certainly work.

Or buy a complete oned, and save yourself even more - (money and time!)