View Single Post
Old 31st October 2015, 17:43
Enthusiast

pompeyal is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust (cont’d)

I had to manufacture some exhaust hangers for the back box and fit them with the back box into position

The next on the menu was to make a template between the exhaust manifold and the back box so I came up with a cunning plan and used these

A length of 15mm copper tube and 5 nylon rings

By bending the copper pipe into an approximate shape require for the centre pipe, then placing two of the rings at one end and then inserting them into the manifold parted to get alignment I could see where to adjust the copper pipe for best fit

By placing the fifth ring (the one with the blue marker on)which was a slip fit over the pipe and the outside diameter of the exhaust I could then place the template back into the exhaust at both end and run the fifth ring along the copper pipe to see there was enough clearance along its length and adjust the copper pipe where required

Once satisfied I could then use the template to manufacture the centre pipe

Marking as I went along I cut the pipe at the bend positions taken from the template and shut each in turn to form the shape

Once all done my welder tacked each bend and off I went to check it against the car just in case I had to make slight alterations

Once satisfied my welder completely welded each cut

OK that’s the exhaust system complete, next item ….