View Single Post
Old 12th December 2011, 21:53

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

I weighed the Miata as you see it in the pictures today. It was 1653 lbs, with 40% on the rear. The weight balance isn't to surprising as a lot of the rear was cut away. The bottom line is I don't like the way it looks, the weight balance, or the high over all weight. I think the Sammio body deserves a cleaner, stronger, better balanced chassis.
So, I am scrapping this idea and will build a dedicated space frame with aluminum panels that will form the floors, bulkheads and firewalls. When the Bonnet is open the engine compartment will look clean and purposeful. More work for me but less work in the long run for the builder. Plus the left over Miata parts can be sold which would offset the extra cost of having the dedicated frame.

I believe that the Sammio MX5 Spyder with dedicated space frame will weigh around 1450 LBS. I think that using the Miata tub would result in the car weighing closer to 1750 lbs. That's a pretty big difference.

I realize that the whole idea for doing the Sammio on an older car in England is to eliminate the expensive certifications that would be required. In the US, in most states, it's pretty easy to register a "Specialty Constructed Vehicle." So, using the dedicated frame here is not that big of a deterrent.

I won't begin the frame until the body arrives.

Out of curiosity how does the MEV EXOCET get registered? And, what does it cost?