View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:26

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
Last week I'd again attempted to get my twin CD150s to behave - dream on! Following the instructions to the letter, I got the engine up to temperature and set about fine tuning the mixture, which involves lifting the piston a tiny distance and adjusting the jet screw according to the engine's reaction. Rear carb: engine dies irrespective of any adjustment. Front carb, engine ignores any mixture change made. I replaced the air filter and took her out for a road test. Very poor throttle response, engine dies after about half a mile. Restart, same but after about half the distance. Repeat, dies after ever decreasing distances. Park, walk home in disgust, recruit son, pop along in Micra, tow home, cover over and try to forget .
Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

By that criterion, I am insane. About three weeks ago, between bouts of Monaco related tasks and trips out in the Lotus, I decided to rebuild the Strombergs one last time. Once they were fitted back I took the A352 around the block, not daring to venture more than a couple of hundred yards from home as I no longer had any confidence in her. She seemed OK, but then she did for a short distance last time. I covered her over and advertised her on Car and Classics web-site. So far I've had five nibbles, one from a very honest German who decided he'd prefer a Jaguar based one; three from dreamers who wasted my time and ceased communicating, and one today who is supposed to be 'phoning me to come and have a look. Prompted by this, I decided to bite the bullet and take her for an extended spin which was completed without drama. I know that I did nothing different in the last carb. rebuild so I'm still baffled, but grateful nevertheless. Roll on next Saturday for Shelsley Walsh and Sunday for Burford Specials Day.

Thanks both Pauls for the encouragement and suggestions .

Regards, Mick