View Single Post
Old 27th October 2012, 15:57
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Peter,

That is exactly my plan. I just wanted to get a specific response from the e-bay guy that I could include in my request to Marlin to sort out the ECU/EWS.

It will be an interesting discussion if they turn round and admit that they can't address this problem. I really don't want to go chasing a new engine but it might be cheaper than a new Engine management system and re-mapping -I have been quoted £1,000 to £1,500 for this. An alternative might be to swap my E39 for an E36 through one of the engine re-furb places but that will also be a lot of hassle as I assume I will also need the associated ECU, steering barrel with key etc.?

The engine I have was manufactured in December 1998.

Cameron
Hi Cameron

Experience suggests you will need to set Marlin a deadline, otherwise issues like this seem to get filed in their 'Too hard to do' tray, and responses can be a very long while coming! - treat them as you would a contractor at work!
Also, I think we all know the answer you'll eventually receive.......?

There is another option: As you have the M52TUB28engine, you could source a complete M50TU engine wiring loom, with its DME, and run your engine as though it is single Vanos - (you may need one or two additional sensors?).
If you read the blog by Steve at Seattle Circuits, he ran his M54B30 (essentially a stroked M52TUB28, with drive by wire accelerator) without the exhaust vanos working and it made no difference to the maximium BHP wherever he fixed the exhaust vanos timing!

I'm struggling to find his blog again, but will add it here when I do!

Edit: here it is. This guy really does understand BMW Vanos requirements! His blog makes fascinating reading.

http://m54megasquirt3.blogspot.co.uk...ting-blog.html

Then go to the bottom and click on "Starting the blog"
Mike