Thread: Mystery misfire
View Single Post
Old 7th June 2015, 20:27

phil.coyle is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this helps but, on my EFi the wiring loom from the injectors has a diode in the wire from the injectors to the ECU, this is to stop any spikes in power from upsetting the ECU and the wires from the Hall effect dizzy are all screened, and I have wrapped them in foil tape. My diode started to break up causing it to misfire, a trip to Maplins for a 20k diode (60p) and some ally sticky tape and bingo job done.
The ECU is susceptible to interference so a check on your alternator may be in order. I know of one example of a very expensive hand built British car that would conk out every time the guys mobile phone rang when he was driving in France (he lived there) when the car was returned to England no problems could be found, and as soon as It went back, problem every time the phone rang, this was 15 years ago but it shows there can be a hidden problem.
This is one reason why most engines have an anti knock sensor in the block as it picks up bad ignition (pinking etc.) which can be picked up by wires and ECUs.
Phil.