View Single Post
Old 27th May 2016, 06:25

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike, welcome back.

I experimented with various cut-down springs and my MOT chappie always passed them, but... always with a frown and a long pause before agreeing to allow them. Then a colleague secured a conviction for 'causing death by dangerous driving' after an enthusiast modified vehicle with cut-down springs went out of control and people died.

At that point I stumped up for a pair of Gaz ride and height adjustable dampers and fitted them with new, uncut Spitfire 180lb springs -

With a straight six up front, that made the ride just right for the road and the car was much faster in real terms than on harder springs because the front wheels stay in contact with the road instead of hopping about.

At the back I ended up with no lowering blocks fitted and removed the three loose leaves from the rear spring stack, plus the first 'fixed' spring leaf also went. Again, with bog-standard Triumph shocks, that made the ride at the back far more compliant and the car was far more controllable.

I also have a Spitfire front ARB fitted. It's a larger diameter, I can't remember the exact size but it's the one that comes with the swing spring conversions and was about £15 from a Spitfire breakers. The larger clamps and bushes needed fitting too of course, but they were cheap as I recall. Oh, and I have blue polybushes throughout btw.

I know that Phil J has a much firmer setup on his car, but he's set built his car with use on the track as one of his primary considerations, while mine is 100% a road car.

Oh, and finally, we both have solid aluminium rack mounts fitted in place of rubber or poly bushes - it makes the steering feel much more positive without any noticeable increase in vibration at the wheel.

Good luck getting it set up how you want it.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 27th May 2016 at 06:28..