View Single Post
Old 18th January 2017, 06:00

Aus Simmo is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ross,

I have my heart set on a Dino with a V6 so I enquired to DeHavilland about the rumours they were building a V6. They answered that and my rego question.

Apparently they are building a Dino with a Rover KV6 from an MG ZT mated to an MGTF PG1 gearbox. If the car was sent to Aus from England UNREGISTERED it would retain the MGTF build date. This would fall foul of the import laws as a used vehicle must not be made after 1989.

DeHavilland also stated they could register the car in the UK as a new car (DeHavilland GT) but upon import it would be classed as used and built after 1989.

My other option is to apply for a one-off import exemption allowing me to import the registered DeHavilland as a used import built after 1989.

That seemed like the best option until I read the cost (£44000). That puts the car in with some VERY serious company including new cars from established brands. In Australia I can get a new VW Golf R, Audi RS3 or Lotus Elise (to name just a few) for that price. The big problem here with kit cars is there is such a niche market that resale value is very hit-and-miss. I doubt that a DeHavilland, however special, when fitted with an aging KV6 would return even half of any of the other cars listed and as such I can't make the man maths work.

I know with kit cars that the heart usually rules the head, but in this case I really can't get past the cost versus potential future return. I have already considered building a kit, but I have too many time commitments so would never get one finished.

I'll have to keep on looking!