View Single Post
Old 15th February 2019, 05:34

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Sunshine helps…
Before I get on to yesterday's jobs, I found two scrapes on the rear passenger wheel arch.

I have no idea when this happened, but I can only assume it was while I had left the car in a car park somewhere.

Anyway, I took some better photos of the gear lever gaiter.

I think I'll reserve final judgement on this until after I have added alloy panels to the cockpit walls.

In order to reduce the mess from drilling the holes in the aero humps I covered the seats and used a hoover for the 'swarf'.

No problems with the holes, or fitting the headrests.

The problems came with the optical illusion that putting a straight edge near a curve causes.

If you are looking completely square on, the bottom edge looks pretty horizontal.

But as soon as you move to one side, the green of the body shell makes the headrest look really tilted.
( There is a slight tilt going on, but nothing like as big as it looks. )

The further back you stand, the worse the angles appear to get.
( Note: I'd moved the car to a flat surface for the photo, as my sloping drive doesn't help. )

The difficulty I had pulling the leather tight in one corner of the passenger headrest isn't helping either.

Deep down, I know this is an issue I was always going to struggle to resolve, as the alternative was an 'odd' shaped headrest.

Which, in turn, would still have highlighted the different heights of the body shell lip along the rear cockpit wall.
( Plus, the bottom edge would have been too low and fouled against my shoulders/neck. )

Therefore, I really have to ignore the urge to obsess about this and just accept it for what it is.

Which leads me back to the reference to sunshine in the title of this post…

As yesterday, was the first chance I had to go for a decent drive since the engine was fixed.

Thankfully, there is something about driving a car like this when the sun is shining that is really special.

The sunshine also seemed to lift the mood of both other drivers and pedestrians too.
( As I got a lot of positive comments, waves, thumbs up, hooting of horns, etc. )

Which just confirms that whilst I see every detailed fault, most people only see the overall picture.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
At some point I really must clean the car, as there is a layer of white 'crud' everywhere.