Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 18th November 2023, 15:44

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Today, looking at the dismal weather, I decided to not venture down to the cave, but then remembered that the bits I'd ordered for the modified filler position had arrived yesterday so I might as well do a little offering up. I retrieved the tank from my shed and slid it into the boot, where it will eventually live. However, the boot floor had been so comprehensively butchered for the previous giant tank I'd removed that it had nothing to sit on . OK, what else could I do? I hit on cutting off the Ford filler stub, ready for the resulting hole to be blanked off at some future date. Because of its angle and proximity to the tank's flange, it didn't lend itself to an easy attack. Trying it with each in turn of the four sides of the flange trapped in my Workmate I managed to start the necessary hacksaw cut. I got about two thirds of the way through before the saw's frame started hitting either the flange or the tank's body, so I took out the blade, made a grip at one end of it with gaffer tape, and finished off the cut. Neither easy nor finger friendly!

I gently filed clean the cut edge, gaffer taped over the hole, and called it a day, pleased that I'd at least done something .

Regards, Mick