View Single Post
Old 6th March 2021, 20:24
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Dash surround........

I'm not finished with the seatbelt mountings, but happy that I now have a solution I have moved on to the Dashboard Surround.
This is something that I've been putting off for a long time whilst considering whether to leave it as it is or try and change it.
From a distance, the leather covered dash surround looked smart but close up it was poorly finished and starting to come loose.

Dash surround by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr
But close up it didn't look so good.
This is an example of the finishing that could have been done neater, This is the passenger side top of the surround and was visible when the door was open.

Also, the preformed glovebox was badly fitted and the hole in the dashboard surround looks like it was done in a hurry and doesn't match the 'box.

Glovebox by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Removing the leather cover was easy with just my fingers as the 25 year old evo-stick adhesive had gone brittle and crumbly. Of course, it then took me a few hours removing the old glue with adhesive cleaner.
This picture is the surround after I had cleaned it up and started filling the gaps around the glovebox.

I then sanded and smoothed the filler.

And gave it a coat of primer.......

I then checked what it looked like with the dash in place.....

It looks a lot better but needs a bit more filling and smoothing before I give it a coat of satin black.

More work planned on the surround next week............

........peter