View Single Post
Old 26th February 2018, 13:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSS View Post
... Also, i’ve Never quite been sure why the Spitfire/A352 conversion doesn’t need an IVA? Surely the door mods and windscreen removals constitute a fairly big change to the structure of the car?...
MJSS - We tend to talk about the Tribute A352 being a “rebody” that does not require IVA.

But, technically, it is a ‘Radically Altered Vehicle’ that fully complies with the DVLA “8 Point Rule”.

See here:
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...tered-vehicles

This is because the Spitfire has a separate chassis and the chassis is the key to its DVLA registration identity, not the body shell.

You will notice that the original body shell is not even listed in the list of points that you need to keep.

This is the Spitfire rolling chassis I used for my “rebody” and this claims a full house of 14 DVLA points.

The next key point is that any alternative body shell that you fit must be bolted to the chassis.

So in the case of the Tribute A352, the fibreglass body shell is bonded to the cut down Spitfire tub.

This then forms a “new” body shell that is bolted to the Spitfire chassis.

So the fact you cut the windscreen off the body shell is allowed as you are technically changing the body shell.

I used a Frankenstein mixture of cut down Spitfire and other parts underneath my fibreglass body shell.

Please Note:
The Spitfire chassis VIN number is actually attached to the body shell, so you need to retain this in your A352.

Hope that helps, Paul.

PS
Feel free to start a new thread to cover your build ideas, even if it is still at an early stage.