View Single Post
Old 25th March 2017, 17:24

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default More Floor

Today I was determined to go for a spin in the A352 as the weather forecast was so good and the poor old girl's been sat there for ten days since her MOT. As I was taking the top cover and tonneau covers off I remembered I was supposed to be taking up a carpet for my daughter. I pitched into that and an hour had gone. I thought, I'll wait until it's a bit warmer as the wind was quite bitter, and I'll do some Monaco in the meantime.

My son's away for the weekend so I had to resort to my rope trick to remove the body. By the time I'd managed this, wheeled the chassis out of the way, dropped the back end of the body onto my Machine Mart trolley, pulled it onto the grass (which I'd interrupted proceedings to cut) and pushed the chassis back into the cave, another hour had gone.

I then remembered that the 'lift the dot' studs made it very difficult to single handedly manoeuvre the body inverted, as they turn it into a harrow, so I removed the front fibreglass coaming and the top five rear studs and rolled the body over. Yet more time gone.

I'd decided to use a classic Mini petrol tank in the tail and had bought a refurbished one a couple of weeks ago. I offered it up and cut a hole for the filler neck which protrudes at a weird angle, although the tank itself sits quite nicely in the space. I'll have to cut and shut the neck.

I refitted the first bit of boot floor, after carefully drilling the holes for attachment to the rear suspension turrets - I'd drawn around the latter from underneath during the last trial assembly. I then measured where the bottom of the tank would sit and prepared a cardboard template to fit parallel to the plane of the other bits of floor.

Out came the ply, the jigsaw and the support blocks, I drew around my template and cut the new bit of floor which only needed very slight trimming to fit snugly. I cut four doorstop temporary supports, screwed them to the body and rested it in place. I'm quite happy with it although I think it's possible the two big eyes on the very back of the chassis frame might foul it. Time will tell and, if so, something will have to give.

By this time my concentration was waning so, rather than press on, I tidied everything away. As the body will live upside down on the grass whilst the dry weather continues, I taped over the tops of the multitude of holes so that drying of the sandwiched wood isn't compromised. Some of the mounting holes had definitely been drilled on a 'hit and hope' basis. Mine is the one with the white tape - apologies for the rubbish picture!

As for the blat in the A352, maƱana.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 25th March 2017 at 17:33..