View Single Post
Old 5th October 2023, 10:28

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post

After posting the above last Sunday, I decided that the very distressed volt meter was rather spoiling the overall effect, so I hit Ebay searching for used same. After ploughing through the plethora of mis-advertised ammeters I found a nicely presented Tudor branded one BIN at a reasonable price which was delivered, very well packed, yesterday.

Not having been successful two days running in using the instant gasket installing the new thermostat - ham-fisted, moi? I set to releasing the LH end of the dash, wedging it open with a block of wood to marginally improve the meagre access, having first disconnected the battery's earth. Despite removing the recently installed switch just above it, I couldn't get enough purchase on the gnurled nut holding it on. OK, remove the fuel gauge immediately below for a try that way. Having done that, which was a struggle in itself, I was just about able to access the nut with long nosed pliers - a squirt of WD40 and lots of cursing and it was off. Having put its replacement in I remembered that a nicer fuel gauge had come with the Phaeton so I dug that out of my box of clocks and substituted it. Reinstating the dash and re-connecting the battery I was delighted, if not amazed, that they both worked a treat. A hat trick of successes was achieved as I'd spotted a dodgy connection in one of the tacho. wires and remade it so said clock now works consistently . No picture as yet.

Today it's back to the thermostat housing problem. Third time lucky? Maybe.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 4th January 2024 at 07:26.. Reason: Spelling.