View Single Post
Old 5th November 2023, 12:29

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default They're never really finished...

I remembered this morning that my poncey custom reg. no. has been languishing on its DVLA retention certificate for three years now, since its removal from the A352 'D-Type'. As the Phaeton I'm building is on a Q plate, and the no. would simply look wrong on my Jazz, I decided its last resting place should be on the Monaco .

Reading the blurb on the V778 which details the hoops which require jumping through, I also remembered that I hadn't affixed the Spitfire donor's chassis plate to the Monaco. Digging it out and offering it up to likely locations, I plumped for the scuttle brace as favourite.

The handbrake lever made aligning the drill for the LH rivet hole tricky, which has resulted in the plate being slightly off level. I persuaded myself that this simply adds to the overall quirkiness

So, tomorrow I can get the necessary paperwork together and make my application to DVLA. I already have pressed ally black and silver plates which I purchased in the 80s for the imagined Moss Midge which never was. The reg. no. was originally on a 1950s Minor 1000 in Lincolnshire. I found it advertised in The Sunday Times in '72, it cost 35 quid, a fortnights take home pay then. Bizzarely, MDO 1 was for sale in the same ad. for a mere 400. Dream on! Vanity doesn't come cheap!

The 'D' is for Desmond. I'm thankful that my father's wish that it should be my first name was vetoed by SWMBO!

Regards, Mick