Thread: Preston Sammio
View Single Post
Old 1st January 2012, 13:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Paint code should be on the commission plate located on the passenger side of the bulkhead just behind the front wheel.

Useful link btw, looks like yours could be Cherry or Burgundy from the examples given.

If the condition of your panels is as good as they look in the pics you should get most of your grand back if not more. My bonnet sold to a chap who'd had his daily-driver Herald 13/60 bonnet crunched by an uninsured teenage driver a couple of days before the auction ended and he was desperate to get his pride 'n' joy back on the road. I've never seen anybody look so pleased with an ebay purchase when he collected it.

Just so you've got something to compare yours with here's a picture of mine before I started stripping it:

The decision for me to convert mine to a Sammio was easy as I bought the Vitesse with that intention in the first place. I also don't find the Herald/Vitesse to be a particularly attractive design personally, while Gary's take on the fifties sports racing car really floats my boat.

The clincher for me has been uncovering the bodged repairs that had been made to the chassis of a solid looking 'classic' however. It wouldn't have taken much to get it through the mot which would have left me unknowingly driving a potential death-trap.

Anyway, enjoy the challenge and I look forward to seeing your build progress.