View Single Post
Old 29th August 2015, 15:14

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Saturday's Bonnet Work - Part 2:
With the fibreglass set pretty solid, I removed the brackets holding the two sections together.
( Although I added a small bracket to the edge of the driver's side. )

Then I ground away any raised bit of matting that had gathered around the screws on the underside.

Then I had another two 'glassing sessions.
( One to cover the screw holes & another to cross both sides of the join, also covering the screw holes. )

I wasn't going to chance another session today, so I left that to set and started the cleaning up process.

I must confess I really hate the fact that stray matting strands seem to get everywhere.

Later on, in a rare bit of good timing, I had just stepped outside to check if everything was solid, when the rain started.

So I quickly, but carefully, lowered the bonnet and you can see that the join already works pretty well at the centre.
( Ignoring the fact the foam is keeping it high at the back and there is still a lot of finishing off work to do. )

I just had time to screw the corners of the new edge back to the body shell before the covers went back on.

Given the forecast, I don't think I will get the chance to make any progress tomorrow either.

So until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
The work Micky1Mo did to join a Spitfire & Sammio bonnet together gives me hope I can pull this off.

Although, as I said earlier, the outside corners will need some radical surgery before they fit properly.