View Single Post
Old 30th August 2015, 21:00

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Roadster - No worries, I'm barely able to keep up with what I am planning to do myself.

I went for another run around the block this morning and spend most of the time looking at bonnet gaps.

In the end my wife's Micra and a few other small cars were the only ones with a "cut" through to the wheel arch.
( Ignore the gap caused by someone hitting the bumper in a car park and driving off. )

And even that is pointing in the wrong direction compared to my dodgy sketch.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Limited Sunday Service:
As I can't bring myself to fire up noisy tools before mid-day on a Sunday, I spend some time "thinking" this morning.

I clamped the bottom of the bonnet to the body shell just to get a better look at the gap I needed to bridge.

After 12 noon, I was prepared to do some gentle drilling to counter sink the screw holes.

Before filling the screw holes and the gaps in between the slits with fibreglass filler.

It was 1 pm before I could bring myself to get the angle grinder going on the gap between the two sections.

Before:

After:

As I was now making noise, I also cut the new passenger corner piece into three sections.

I also extended the length of the slits in the bonnet on this side too.

So at some point, I will be able to re-attached the new edge sections to the existing bonnet something like this.
( A combination of pushing one section in, and the other section out, until they meet in the middle. )

But for today, I just had time to add three layers of fibreglass matting to the gap on the sunny side.

Then it was a bit of a rush to clean up, so we could all go to my mate's house for a family BBQ.

If I get the chance tomorrow, I will finish off 'glassing the join on the sunny side.

Then I will make a start on the passenger side corner and see how that turns out.

So until then, take care, Paul.